AIMS & OBJECTIVES
- To make a significant contribution for reducing the environmental problems associated with contaminants in soil, ground and surface water and food in India by research and their application by the scientists in the country.
- The activities of this network will assist individuals and institutions in sharing their experiences that will further help in reducing contaminant problems. This will be made possible by carrying out high quality research and ensuring that the results are presented to regional, national and international decision makers for effective development. Also, implementation of these appropriate environmental, industrial, health, agricultural, economic and social policies and strategies will help in reducing environmental contaminants.
- To assess the skills and techniques available in the country for determining the composition, quantities, sources and fate of contaminants entering soils and waters for their remediation.
- To identify and quantify the process determining the movement and pathways of contaminants entering soil, plants, water and air in the region.
- To assess the types and amounts of contaminants in food in the region resulting from plant growth on contaminated land, and to identify the sources of such contaminants.
- To contribute in the investigations of the ecological effects and the human and animal health impacts of contaminated land and water including the consumption of food produced on contaminated land.
- To contribute in the study of effects of soil and water contamination on engineering structures buildings and their interiors.
- To investigate and recommend appropriate regional remediation measures and technologies for contaminated soil and water supply.
- To advice governments and other on the results and the likely implications of the completed research and to assist them in the development of remedial measures to address the identified problems.
- To work with regional governments on the development of short and long term measures to reduce the contamination of soil and water resources and the potential impacts on food supplies and exportable commodities.
- To assist government in the region for the development of policies and strategies for reducing the social, economic and health impacts of contaminated soil and water.